Friday, August 21, 2009

The Dreaded -Itis

I recently took a trip to the doctor’s office to have my hip looked at, as it has been causing me much discomfort in the past month. I normally don’t fret about injuries or ailments but this one caused much distress. There is something about having a hip injury that just screams “YOU’RE AN OLD LADY!” My friends all got a good laugh when I told them I have been having hip problems. I even chuckled along with them b/c that is the kind of good sport I am. But when Dr. Henderson told me it either was, that my hip joint rolled out of its socket or I had a bursa, things really began to hit home for me. Not b/c either of these diagnosis were life threatening, simply the fact they screamed “YOU’RE AN OLD LADY!” I mean come on!

This was very disheartening as I tried to decide which diagnosis I would rather have; the loose hip joint or bursitis? Even though saying “my hip fell out of its socket” could be more like something that comes out of your grandmother’s mouth, I kind of hoped for that one. Because as I said bursitis out loud it struck me that anything that ends in –itis equals you’re old. I could just picture myself sitting on a rocker talking about how my bursitis is acting up again and that image just made me sick to my stomach. So I headed off to the radiology department with my fingers crossed that it was simply my hip dangling from its joint.

As I sat in the waiting room in my lovely hospital gown I quickly realized I was the youngest person there by a good 40 years. While you may think that would have made me feel better being so youthful compared to my fellow patients, it certainly did not. I came to the realization that I must be aging at break-neck speed. I am my own reverse Benjamin Button. I looked around at my fellow Cocooners and thought - bursitis, colitis, gastroenteritis, gastritis, sigh….the list goes on and on. By the time I walked in to get the actual x-ray I was literally begging the gods to give me a diagnosis of anything but the dreaded itis.

And when I needed his sympathy the most, my husband gave me some advice that only my sweet, sensitive husband can – getting old is like a car crash, the more you tighten up the more it hurts. (I swear there needs to be a book Daily Wisdoms by Kris) A couple things happened after he said that, first I laughed, which I have to say is the gift that Kris is best at giving. It made me feel better and I realized it is true. I am missing out on my present life worrying about my future life. I want to enjoy this trip across the universe and not be a stress ball constantly looking back in the rear view mirror. So when Dr. Henderson called me 2 days ago and told me my hip joint looked great and it that it was in fact bursitis I thanked her, hung up and said to Kris “well I’ve got the bursitis.”

6 comments:

  1. YOU'RE AN OLD LADY!

    Look who has a blog! Buck up, little camper. At least you have something to complain about. That's what blogs are for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, fun insights! I just read through your whole archive - wonderful. That creative mind of yours certainly has no bursitis! Besides, remember if you take that word "itis" apart it's really
    "it is" whatever you want it to be! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I now officially have gray hair-itis. Found a few the other day and it freaked me out! Ok enough about that!

    Hey, Kris said something actually semi-insightful! He's right, we all have to loosen up a bit and just enjoy the ride (even the crashes--ok, maybe not that so much)! Life is like a roller-coaster ride (someone coined this, I'm sure) so just have fun (although Kris doesn't like these so much)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, here is your mother's take on your "itis". I personally think that your hip "itis" has nothing whatsoever with age, and everything do with the hips you were born with. For those of you who don't know this, Kate was born with both of her hips dislocated & spent many months with a hip brace and casts on her adorable little legs.
    Typical Kate, they didn't slow down one little bit, but it sure hurt like hell when she kicked you with those casts. The doctors told us then that many of the babies born with hip displasia could have subsequent hip problems later in life. Secondly, Kate is a very good athlete, spending her youth playing soccer, basketball and fifteen years of dance. During those years she sustained many a push, fall and several assorted injuries, perhaps that contributed to her current hip problem.
    Now my girl is amazing to me. In her "young" life she has already accomplished what so many people only dream of. She has traveled the world, and dared to follow her dream (acting) out to live on the
    West Coast. People often talk about their dreams, but how many actually have the courage to chase them? Now, the problem with dreams are, sometimes they come true and sometimes they don't, and sometimes they do, and it is very disappointing, because they turn out to be not nearly as wonderful as you thought they would be.
    Having my girl so far away, hurts my heart a lot, but it is the same heart that is so filled with pride for her. When my heart really hurts with missing her, my heads says, "WoW, look at my girl and all that she is, and all that she has done!
    I am and always have been a terrible worrier. I can't help it, part of it is just who I am & the other part of course is that, I am a mom!!
    Now when my children were growing up (and now still), on more than one occasion, Kate & her brothers would say to me, stop worrying, you are driving us crazy!! I would try, but didn't always work so well.
    Well, now my children are all adults & you would think that I could stop worrying about them, but doesn't work that way, I still worry.
    However, as an older & hopefully wiser woman, I will tell you this.
    I am blessed beyond means with good health, great friends and a
    wonderful (occasionally annoying) family.
    Every day, I find something to be grateful for, and every day I learn something new, sometimes good & sometimes bad, but I am still learning.
    This is where I will tell you what I have learned from my daughter. I have learned to try and worry less and enjoy more, and that is exactly what I do now. Thanks Kate!
    Kate, I know that you are at a crossroads right now & it is so hard and so confusing, and I wish that I could fix it for you, but of course I can't, only you can. It is all part of the life cycle, really good, then really bad. Now the good thing about the bad is, when it gets better, it makes you really appreciate the good.
    I just hope that you will continue fighting to find your way back to enjoying the journey that you are on, and never forget how blessed you are. Kate, you are beautiful inside and out. Talented in so very many ways. You have great, fun and loyal friends, a family who loves you to pieces, and most importantly, a wonderful husband
    (my son-in-law) who always supports, and as you have said many times, "really gets you".
    Kate, if this dream isn't working out so well, then you just find yourself another one. You can do it, you always have, and wherever your journey takes you, I have no doubt you will be outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insight from a Father......

    Each decade of your life brings new experiences ( some good, some bad), new trauma's , new joys and yes, new angst. Some people do their damn best to cram an entire life into a single decade. Most of these individuals crash and burn before they can experience the next time period of their lives. Success is ultimately defined by one's self . It's not necessarily defined by monetary rewards ( though money is nice) or one's position ( the higher you go, the more angst your likely to have, plus your always looking over your shoulder to see who's coming up behind you) or by one's collection of accolades and awards ( accolades are nice but then you have to keep jumping over that higher bar and awards collect too much damn dust). No....a good and some would say successful life is defined by the friends you have, the quantity of people who love you for who you are and if you can find a loving companion who will try to cheer you up by telling you that " getting old is like a car crash, the more you tighten up, the more it hurts." If you really , really read between the lines of what my wise beyond his years son-in law has said, it comes out " LIFE IS LIKE A CAR CRASH, THE MORE YOU TIGHTEN UP, THE MORE IT HURTS". So don't fret too much my lil Dweeb, your life will continue its' ebb and flow and some day when you reach a ripe old age and your still trying to figure out LIFE, a light bulb will go off and you'll smile and say....Hmmmm...not too shabby !

    ReplyDelete